Forum

Retro Game Entry

Notifications
Clear all

Retro Game Entry

(@jetjam)

My earliest memory of of gaming was back in 2010, my brother and I didn't have a ton of games but we absolutely loved battling it out in Timesplitters 2 on the Game cube. There is something really special about multiplayer games back then, they really got families to come to gether and compete in a healthy way. Then soon even tho it was several years after it was released, we finally upgraded to the wii. I mean the wii isn't exactly retro to some people but it's my future gaming life where I experience real retro vibes from some amazing games I didn't even know existed until then.

Suddenly it was 2015 and It was my birthday. I opened my present eager to see what it was since I never really asked for anything. It was quite the surprise... I got a sega genesis! But upon getting it i never even heard of it even though it wouid come to be my most loved console of all time! So i played some of the various games that i got along with it such as the amazing Sonic The Hedgehog saga for the genesis, Golden Axe, Shinobi and more. I really fealt at home with this console because first off I really noticed some real heart put into these games by developers. The graphics the storylines were truly unique but the biggest attention grabber for me at the time.... The music! I was in (And still am) a phase where I was trying to find fast paced music that was fun to listen to and the second I turned on Sonic 2 for the first time I knew my search was over. Still to this day I listen to my favorite tracks from masterpieces like Sonic, Space Harrier, Shinobi, Shining Force, Monster World 4 and much more! 

Now in the present day I've grown particularly fond of role playing games. Some of the stories of this genre are mind blowing from how in depth they go. Throughout a long day at work I look forward to go home, chill on my couch eat some Doritos snatch a cup of Kool Aid and turn on my Playstation 1 and play one of the various role playing games on it. One thing that really caught my attention with retro rpgs were they're graphics. The Simplistic yet affective pixel art of Sword of Vermillion on the Sega Genesis, to the beautifully pre rendered graphics of Final Fantasy 7 on the Playstation 1, and even the great 3D models of Phantasy Star Universe for Playstation 2! 

Retro games aren't just fun to play, they can really help me relax and reduce stress. There is a special place in my heart for retro games espcially knowing that I'm playing on the same consoles my parents grew up playing. And I'd like to conclude my trip down memory lane with the experince I'm having with the newest game I've been playing, Ecco the Dolphin : Defender of the Earth.

So if you haven't noticed I'm a diehard sega fan but ofcourse I still play nintendo and sony daily. I've recently discovered that the Ecco the Dolphin dreamcast game has been ported to the Playstation 2??? I buy it with out evening thinking twice and when it arrives it's everything I hoped for and more. The presentation of this game is absolutely remarkable. The undersea graphics leave me in awe as I'm being swept away by the ambient soundtrack and ofcourse the little details that really touch the heart. 

And this is why i play retro games more then I do modern games. It gives me a special feeling I can't seem to get as often from modern games. This group has given me yet another outlet to see much more great content and has even helped me discover some great games for retro platforms and seeing people's colletions grow as well as sharing my own I can't thank you enough for building this group. 

Sincerely Dorian Gray (from FaceBook) 

Topic starter Posted : 26/01/2024 10:45 am
Share: