Forum

Reality of female r...

Notifications
Clear all

Reality of female representation in gaming

(@dmb062082_)
Member Admin
I am showing the utmost respect as I write this.

It's no secret that the gaming industry has a problem with sexism, and its not always against women. But a new trend is emerging that is just as troubling: consulting companies are advising game developers to make female characters average or even ugly.

This trend is based on the idea that female gamers want to see more realistic and relatable characters. But this is a flawed premise. Female gamers are just as diverse as male gamers, and they want to see a variety of female characters, including those who are beautiful, sexy, and powerful.

The old adage "sex sells" is still true today. People are more likely to be attracted to products and services that are associated with sex. This is why so many advertisements feature attractive women.

The gaming industry is no exception to this rule. Games that feature attractive female characters are more likely to be successful than games that do not. This is because attractive female characters appeal to a wider audience, including both male and female gamers.

It's true that many of the most popular Twitch streamers are beautiful women who often show off their bodies. This is likely due to the fact that sex sells. People are more likely to be attracted to and watch streams that feature attractive women. For proof just look at the top Twitch streamers, they ALL are beautiful and they all show a lot of skin. So why is it OK for female gamers to dress scantly clad, but female game characters must do the opposite?

https://retro-replay.com/beauty-and-the-beasts-twitchs-top-females-and-aaas-haggard-heroines-prove-what-sells-and-why-western-gaming-is-flopping/

I think that one of the great things about video games is that they allow us to escape from reality and experience something different. When I play a video game, I want to be able to play as a character who is different from me, who has different abilities and experiences. I don't want to play as a character who looks like me and who has the same experiences as me.
Consulting companies that are advising game developers to make female characters average or ugly are doing a disservice to the gaming industry and to female gamers. This trend is based on a flawed premise and it is harmful to women and girls.
Topic starter Posted : 15/03/2024 9:53 am
Share: