Forum

Retro game contest ...

Notifications
Clear all

Retro game contest entry #1

(@rainman164)

Hi. I'd like to tell you why I like retro games so much. I didn't know it as a child but I suffer from anxiety and depression, mostly anxiety. My brain goes a mile a minute thinking of anything and everything that may or may not happen. I realized later in life that I enjoyed video games so much because it was a way for me to focus on something and shut off my brain from everything else that I would worry about. I still use video games as a tool to escape my anxiety to this day.

I have many good memories of playing video games as a kid, but my favorite is playing River raid on the Atari 2600 with my dad. Dad worked hard and didn't have a lot of free time, but he always made time to do something with me. The things I enjoyed the most with him where going fishing, playing catch in the yard, and playing River raid. River raid was the only game he would play. He would grumble that the controllers weren't made for a left-handed person, but he made the most of it and we had lots of fun. It's one of my favorite memories with my dad.

I am trying my best to keep the memory of retro games alive and preserved. I've always kept our old Atari 2600, but in the past few years I've added an intellivision, a ColecoVision, and an extra Atari 4 switch model. 2600 to replace my Atari 2600 Junior on the entertainment center in the basement. I then started a Facebook group called retro gamers of Wisconsin. It's a small group of less than 100 people, but I hope to keep growing it. I love it when people share recent purchases and stories of what they played as a kid. If anyone is interested they can check it out I accept all, you don't have to be from Wisconsin.

I'm so happy that I've gotten to enjoy retro games with my own kids now. I think my younger daughter plays games for the same reason I do. It makes me happy that I can provide an outlet for her on the days she is struggling with anxiety just like I do. I take them to the Midwest gaming classic convention in Milwaukee every year. We go for the whole weekend and get a hotel room nearby. We really could spend nearly an entire day just going through the vendor Hall looking for games that we want to add for our collections. I'm trying to get a complete set of ColecoVision games. I'm also looking to buy the Nintendo and super Nintendo games that I had as a kid. My kids are 15 and 18 now and they still say that they want to go with me every year even after they have moved out and are on their own. Maybe someday we will be taking their kids along with us. Nothing would make me happier.

I hope others can relate to this. Sincerely, Kent: The Wisconsin retro gamer.

This topic was modified 4 months ago by dmb062082_
Topic starter Posted : 25/01/2024 1:51 pm
dmb062082_
(@dmb062082_)
Retro Gsmer Admin

Hi Kent, The Wisconsin retro gamer,

I found your post truly relatable. It's amazing how video games, especially the retro classics, have the unique power to serve as both a nostalgic bridge to the past and a therapeutic escape from the rush of modern life. Your experience with anxiety and finding solace in the focus and engagement that games provide resonates with many of us in the gaming community. It's a reminder that beneath the graphics and gameplay, there's a profound emotional connection that games foster.

The memories you've shared about playing River Raid with your dad are precious. It's wonderful to hear how those shared moments of joy created a lasting bond and a favorite memory. It's clear that video games were more than just a pastime for you two; they were a means of connecting, sharing experiences, and making the most of the time you had together.

I had a similar experience with my father when we played Zelda 2 for the NES together. It was the only game he ever played, and after he beat it we never played video games together again. But I remember it well and love the game for that reason.

It's a testament to how games can transcend their medium to become part of our life stories.

Your efforts in preserving retro gaming are commendable. Keeping the old machines in good shape, starting a Facebook group, and engaging in community activities like the Midwest gaming classic convention are fantastic ways to keep that cultural heritage alive. It's inspiring to see someone so dedicated to ensuring these games don't just fade into obscurity but continue to be celebrated and enjoyed by newer generations.

I'm particularly moved by how you're passing on your love for retro games to your children. It's heartening to know that your younger daughter finds the same comfort in gaming that you do, and that you've cultivated it into a family activity that everyone looks forward to each year.

Thank you for the invitation to your Facebook group, 'Retro Gamers of Wisconsin'. I'm sure there are many who would love to join, share their stories, and connect over shared experiences, regardless of whether they are from Wisconsin or not.

Your story is a beautiful example of how video games can be a powerful tool, not just for entertainment but for mental health, family bonding, and community building. Here's to many more years of gaming for you and your family, and to the joy of eventually introducing the next generation to the pixelated wonders of the past.

Best wishes,

David

β€œYes,there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on.”
― Led Zeppelin 😎

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2024 2:00 pm
Share: