Forum

What retro video ga...

Notifications
Clear all

What retro video games mean to me

(@dmb062082_)
Member Admin

So I am exempt from this contest, but I'd like to make a entry anyway. Who knows, my kids may read this some day.

How Final Fantasy VII and My Mom Fueled My Childhood Gaming Passion 

Growing up, I absolutely loved JRPGs (Japanese role-playing games). The genre just clicked with me in a way most games didn't. I have fond memories of getting lost in classics like Dragon Warrior and Lunar for hours on end. But nothing could prepare me for the life-changing experience of playing Final Fantasy VII when I was 14 years old. 

I still remember buying FFVII at Sears and rushing home eager to dive in. From the opening scenes in Midgar, I was hooked. The dystopian cyberpunk setting, complex characters, and deep storytelling showed me games could be more than just fun distractions. FFVII felt like an interactive art form.

Of course, being the RPG nut I was, I had to rearrange my schedule to properly binge this masterpiece. I admit I may have skipped a day or two of school to keep playing! I would block the sunlight from the windows in our trailer so I could see the TV screen clearly. Looking back, I don't recommend skipping school but FFVII had me under its spell.

From the tragic story beats to the unforgettable soundtrack, FFVII became a part of my DNA as a gamer. I was transported to its world in a way I had never experienced before. My childhood mind was blown away by the scope and emotion of it all. FFVII showed me the narrative power of games.

I have to thank my mom who always encouraged my passion for gaming, even if it meant me holing up in my room for hours. She saw how these immersive worlds brought me joy and would go out of her way to get me new games when possible. I cherished those moments when it was just me, the controller, and the latest RPG adventure waiting to be explored. 

Now as a parent, I'm thrilled to relive FFVII with my son through the recent Remake. The story still resonates strongly, even after all these years. We're both excited for the next chapter releasing soon in February 2024. 

While turn-based JRPGs may not be as prominent today, I'll always be grateful for the memorable journey FFVII provided back in my youth. It helped define me as a lifelong gamer. I credit my mom, now resting in heaven, for supporting my hobby and making my childhood so memorable. Here's to the games and parents who shape our childhoods and stick with us forever!

Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2024 8:17 pm
Share: